Maxillary artery is the artery that supplies the facial region. It is one of the terminal branch of external carotid artery. This artery as it arises from external carotid artery from behind the neck of mandible. It then between mandible ramus and sphenomendibular ligament via the parotid gland. Here it gives 15 different branches from three different portions. Finally it runs to the pterygopalatine fossa.
The Three Portions Of Maxillary Artery:
As mentioned, there are three portions of maxillary artery, from which fifteen branches arises. Five branches arises from each of these portion. The names of branches with mnemonics are given below. But first you would need to learn the names of these three portions. So the names of these three portions are:
- It is called First Portion or Mandibular portion.
- It is also called Second Portion or pterygoid portion.
- The Third portion is called Pterygomaxillary portion.
Mandibular Portion And Its Branches:
As the name suggests this is the first part of maxillary artery and passes between mandible. It gives five branches which supply different structures. The five branches include:
- Deep Auricular artery.
- Middle Maningeal artery.
- Anterior Tympanic artery.
- Accessory maningeal artery.
- Inferior alveolar artery.
Pterygoid Portion And Its Branches:
This passes upward and obliquely under the ramus of mandible and the insertion of temporalis muscle. It then passes between the origin heads of lateral pterygoid muscle and enters the fossa. It has five branches that supplies different structures of face:
- Masseteric Artery.
- Pterygoid branches.
- Anterior deep temporal artery.
- Posterior deep temporal artery.
- Buccal Artery.
Pterygomaxillary Portion And Its Branches:
This third portion of maxillary artery is the terminal portion and lies and pterygopalatine fossa where it gives five main branches and some sub branches. The branches include:
- Sphenopalatine artery.
- Descending palatine artery.
- Posterior superior alveolar artery.
- Infraorbital artery.
- Artery of the pterygoid canal.
Branches Of Maxillary Artery Mnemonics:
If you have difficulty learning the names of branches of maxillary artery then you should take benefit of mnemonics. Because if you learn the names of maxillary artery with mnemonics, you would never forget the names. Therefore first of all learn the mnemonics given below and then learn the names according to it.
Donald And Mickey In AMerican Parties Drink Beer, Still Drives In Papa’s Mustang, Phones Anomymous Alcoholics
Learn the names of branches of first part of maxillary artery from this mnemonics as:
- D stands for deep auricular artery.
- A stands for anterior tympanic artery
- M stands for Middle Maningeal artery
- I stands for inferior alveolar artery.
- A in america stands for accessory maningeal artery.
Learn the names of second part of maxillary artery from the above mnemonics:
- M in america stands for Masseteric artery.
- P stands for pterygoid artery.
- D stands for deep temporal artery.
- B stands for buccal artery.
The remaining mnemonics consists of third part:
- S stands for sphenopalatine artery.
- D stands for descending palatine artery.
- I stands for infraorbital artery.
- P stands for posterior superior alveolar artery.
- M stands for middle superior alveolar artery.
- P stands for pharyngeal artery.
- A stands for anterior superior alveolar artery.
- The last A stands for artery of the pterygoid cannal’
If you have problem learning the mnemonic above, this this mnemonics:
- DAM I AM Piss Drunk But Stupid Drunk I Prefer, Must Phone Alcoholics Anonymous